Monday, April 18, 2005

Fantomas

Since my blog of the past was, well, of the past after the show... I didnt get to comment on it! So, here it comes.

I have to say, it was probably the best show i have ever personally witnessed. Honestly.

The line-up was this:

1. Trevor Dunn's Trio Convulsant.
2. The Locust.
3. Fantômas.

I missed most of Trevor's thing. I was kinda upset about that. I did however see enough to know that they are INCREDIBLE! Seriously, they did their thing and did it well. I should have gotten their CD (though i dont recall seeing it). It was jazz. It was rock. It was strong. It was soft. It seemed to me to be the standard jazz format, but in a way i have never heard before. I could tell that most of it was written material, unlike John Zorn or any other Avant Garde jazz freaks. Only some of the solos seemed to be free formed (the way i like it). What i saw of them was really, really good.

The Locust... Um, well... let us put it this way. I am not linking to any site of theirs or am i going to take the time to even find out if they have any sites. I know that probably sounds brutal, hey it is just my opinion. They played a short set (luckily for me). The music was not all that bad. Heavy stuff, Avant Garde Metal i would call it. Only, the singing... It sounded to me like 3 infants wailing to the sound of electric shavers... Terrible.

F A N T O M A S! Yes, they really did something. It was truly a spectacle! Dave Lombardo (i would put a link, but his site is missing) is one of my favorite drummers. Even though i was never a Slayer fan. I just recognized Dave's ability behind the kit. Trevor of course is also in Fantômas. And he of course plays the instrument known as the bass. And good old Buzz on the guitar. He does his thing like no one else. He is not really my favorite player, but he is one hell of a versatile guitarist. His tone is phenomenal! Big heavy, i mean HUGE sound! He does his thing alright... Then Mike. Mike Patton is probably one of my favorite musicians of all. I know a lot of people, umm, like "worship" him. Seriously... GOOGLE it! It is insane. I think is a fantastic song writer/composer/vocalist, but come on people! As i was saying, Mike did his thing, and as usual his thing was... Unusual... Ha! He was "on" that night in my opinion. Lots of strange sounds, screaming, etc... Plus, we got to hear the new album Suspended Animation before it came out! So most of the stuff they played i had never heard before! Very cool. Of course i bought the album at the show...

They played a few from The Director's Cut. "Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me", "The Omen", "Cape Fear", "Experiment In Terror"... The beginning of Delirivm Cordia, A few pages from their first release. And a LOT from Suspended Animation. Very coherently (strange as it may seem).

So, i finally got to see Fantômas. I am happy.

I close with a photo...

Can you see it?
(Dave "The Tree", Buzz, Trevor, Mike)

- jMr.

No comments:

Qik

Live or Latest Video from My iPhone.